Friday, July 13, 2012

What the heck was I eating?!?!

So, Tuesday was a fall back day for me. I got up and realized I had to get about 38205892085million things done, so I got up and got myself and the kids ready and left the house, ran some errands, took them to the park, and then lunch time hit. I hadn't had breakfast! By lunch I was tired, STARVING, and the kids wanted to eat, so what did we do? Burger King.

Never. Again.

As stated in a previous post, I've been tracking all my food and exercise on MyFitnessPal and I got home, put in my one meal, and stared at the screen in disbelief. Over A THOUSAND CALORIES from ONE meal. And I used to eat out nearly every day. Coffee, a burger for lunch/dinner, sodas, etc. All the time. Because I was "too tired to cook" or "didn't have time"....gosh was I lying to myself.

I seriously do not even want to know how many calories I was eating per day with my old habits. I am purposely not looking it up, because I think I'd cry. No wonder I'm over 200 pounds!

I'm working out on average about 2 hours a day, spending about 30 minutes of that on my bike downstairs. My legs are FEELIN' it! Did a bit of my Zumba yesterday and I think I've got a little bit to go before I can do it well.

Most of all, I am SO happy with how my eating habits have changed. Other than that horrid Burger King mess, I've been eating at home for all of my meals, and staying well within my calorie limits each day.

One of my absolute favorite things has been my dark chocolate/peanut butter/banana smoothies. I try to use it as a meal (breakfast if I'm coherent enough to operate a blender in the morning, lol) but sometimes it's a snack if I need to get some more protein.

Recipe:

Dark Chocolate Peanut Butter Banana Smoothie
186 calories per serving (makes 1 decent sized serving, or split it into 2 if using for a snack)

1/2 frozen banana, chopped
1 T dark chocolate cocoa powder
1 T creamy peanut butter
1/3 c skim milk
ice if necessary (like if your banana isn't frozen)

Just add it all in a blender and let it do it's thing! I sometimes don't need the ice, or have to adjust the amount of milk to get a good consistency. It's SUPER yummy and filling. I'm looking at getting some protein powder to replace the cocoa powder with, but I'm pretty picky so I haven't found one yet. There's all sorts of ways you can customize this though, you'd just have to check the nutrition info for any changes (which you can do at MyFitnessPal as well). Use regular cocoa instead of dark, almond milk for the skim milk, etc. This is just using my preferences and what I normally have on hand.


I'm also surprising myself with how much I'm able to workout. To say that I led a sedentary lifestyle is a bit of an understatement. I was LAZY. But I'm moving a lot now, and even though I'm still having issues with my energy levels (I have a feeling that has to do with how much sleep I'm getting on top of my results from my lab work) it's easier for me to get moving, I can keep up with the kids better, and I'm just HAPPY. And it's been what, a week and a half? My ball crunches are getting easier so I'm adding more reps (7 reps of 12 today, for example) and I'm working on defining my arms as well so I do as many reps as I can of curls and something I call "the bird" because I don't know all the exercises "real" names (keeping the arms straight and lifting straight up to the side so that they're level with your shoulders- I know there's a name for it, I just don't know it lol), and I'm starting to see some definition and by golly, when I flex there's actually something there!

So maybe I *am* already seeing results, just not in my waistline yet. I'm becoming ok with that :)

No comments:

Post a Comment